Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The super cars

I was thinking today, wouldn’t it be nice to drive a Ferrari just for a day.


Then the next weekend switch to a Lamborghini?



And why not a Bentley the following week?


Yes, I’m dreaming, but I came across this club/company which brings a dream like this to reality. www.clubsportiva.com. For a year’s membership of $12,495 USD, you get 21 weekend days of drive time. You could be driving a Ferrari almost every other weekend for one day a week. How sweet would that be?

Unfortunately it is not available in Malaysia, so looks like buying is the only way. So, imagine pulling up to the local hawker stall in a Ferrari. Or driving around town with the top down and cruising…the coastal highway. I guess driving in Penang isn't all that cool, but all the same, I'd still lurve the opportunity.

Now, dreams aside, is it worth buying in the first place, assuming of course, you had the money? I think it would. Although it would depreciate like mad, and in that sense wouldn't be worth it; it’s the concept of owning one that is priceless.

How often to people get to own one of these super cars? Even in the “richer” western countries, the answer is not so often. The average person will never get to own, let alone drive one.

And then, there is what I call, “the drool factor”. People see these cars and drool. The car could be 10, even 15 years old, and they would still have trouble finding the strength to pull up their lower lip. And as much as I hate to admit, I think I would get a kick out of all the attention, assuming I owned one. I'm not going to kid myself. I would defnitely prefer “OMG that’s the hottest thing I’ve ever seen” or “OMG a Mother #@#$ Ferrari in Mother #@#$# Penang to something like "oh that’s a really nice looking civic/bmw/benz you’ve got.”

And finally, 10-15 years after the car has been sold off, repossessed, or scrapped; would I have any regrets? Heaven forbid if it is scrapped because I think I would cry. So, back to the initial thought, I seriously doubt it unless my finances are wrecked. I just would lurve one of these babies.

3 comments:

Leon said...

business plan? er...more like a plan for bankruptcy. Also, don't forget the road tax. Insurance? Think people would pay 2x12kUSD per year to drive one of these?

Anonymous said...

hey friend arrr...lend me lambo for one night ok??did i say lend?yes i did...haha..

Leon said...

Can haha....if i ever get one. And if my insurance permits.